Friday 5 June 2015

30 Days Wild #Day 4

I'm sure I should be posting some of the outstanding seascapes I saw today from the bird and marine mammal survey in the Irish Sea or perhaps the dramatic choppy water with flocks of Manx Shearwaters zipping about or even the diminutive fin of a Harbour Porpoise disappearing into the blue. But no, I was too busy counting, recording, chivvying and generally being busy. An early start (pre-5am should be banned) and the buffeting of the sea as a mild swell catching us on the corner made life uncomfortable and a number of those less experienced with this sort of thing turned decidedly green.

I am however blessed with a reasonable constitution and haven't yet had issues with mal de mer. Because of this I was able to enjoy a bevy of common seabirds including Gannets, Guillemots, Kittiwakes, Common Scoter and my first Arctic Tern of the year along with those sights noted above. Great fun but now I'm a little tired!

Tomorrow I am off to undertake a breeding bird survey in the North-west. Fingers crossed for a nice morning and some decent sightings.

No comments:

How birds and brains become mutually exclusive

Record, share and compare with BUBO Listing at www.bubo.org