Wednesday 5 June 2013

Strange Redpoll

Once again the blog is going through a lean spell. For a change this isnt apathy but the fact I am working myself to the bone and seeing plenty of stuff but stuff that I am unable to disclose. One thing that I can talk about is a very odd redpoll that I am perplexed as to whether it is within variation of Lesser or whether perhaps it is a more 'interesting' taxon. In this instance Mealy would be counted as more interesting as the bird was paired with a standard male Lesser Redpoll on suitable habitat for breeding. In the field it looked very pale and streaky with a chamois wash to the head, worn white wing bars which look dirtier in the pictures and extensive white braces on the mantle. My gut feeling is an older female Lesser but you never know. Please let me know your thoughts.



No comments:

How birds and brains become mutually exclusive

Record, share and compare with BUBO Listing at www.bubo.org