Saturday 11 May 2013

Corny

I managed a quiet afternoon yesterday at grabbed a couple of hours at Barmston where I bagged 6 year ticks and jibbed a couple more. First up were a bunch of Sedge Warblers singing away in the reedbed. I was hoping my thunbergi wagtail would be present in the pipit field but the vegetation has grown up a lot since my last proper visit over a month previous. Whilst checking it out a familiar song rang out. Corn Bunting. This is a thinly distributed bird here so I thanked my lucky stars and managed a record shot of him trying to get the ladies in.


The first of a small number of Swifts sallied overhead. A female Sparrowhawk failed to surprise anything much. Walking back to the car a single Sandwich Tern was resting on rocks, my third year tick of the morning.


I had a quick walk further round adding Yellow Wagtail and a Common Sandpiper which was sat on the outfall towards Ulrome. A bit of a surprise on the coast.


Down by the drain I jibbed Whitethroat and Reed Warbler - both being elusive after quick bursts of song. Next time...

Last weekend I spent plenty of time in the garden and I did a little macro photography and managed this shot of Eristalis pertinax with the diagnostic face stripe.

Pretty happy with this one!

No comments:

How birds and brains become mutually exclusive

Record, share and compare with BUBO Listing at www.bubo.org