Thursday 14 June 2012

Ptychoptera contaminata

These beauties are part of a very decent hatch of Phantom Craneflies of the species Ptychoptera contaminata (I think) which has occured in the garden over the last couple of days. I suggest this species as it is one that I recorded last year.




If anybody has any better ideas over ID let me know. I also managed some other flies which were pretty cool including a Long-legged Fly of the family Dolichopodidae.

Dolichopodidae species

Last night I cracked 5k for the first time in my training for a 10k race in August. Seems to be going well although I run very slowly - the fact I run at all is pretty good as Im not particularly svelte! On my run I got a garden 2nd with 2 Oystercatchers overhead plus the Curlew, Grasshopper Warbler and plenty of thrushes. I also managed an owl treble with Little Owl, Tawny OwlBarn Owl all heard. I am running for Macmillan as my Dad has terminal lung cancer. If anyone would like to support me I would be grateful.

The link to my page is http://www.justgiving.com/James-Nafferton

1 comment:

James said...

after keying out the Ptychoptera sp. I reckon they are albimana due to the shape of the sex organs (at the end of the body). The key was on dipterists forum which is free to view.

How birds and brains become mutually exclusive

Record, share and compare with BUBO Listing at www.bubo.org