Wednesday 5 October 2011

Quick Update

Sorry for falling behind but this has been a crap autumn thus far in this part of the world and my enthusiasm has waned a little. No doubt a decent bird or day and I will be laughing but nothing recently.

I went to a secret location in a secret place that involved being in Poole Harbour at some points over the weekend. This was a bonus as Yellow-legged Gulls and Mediterranean Gulls were all over the shop and a whopping 27 (TWENTY SEVEN!!!) Spoonbills were present on Brownsea. They were awesome - flopping about in trees and the like. I got back on Sunday night late on and hit flamboro head earlyish in an effort to catch up with the Yellow-browed Warbler in old fall as I havent seen one for a couple of years. I failed on that score but did manage plenty of Chiffchaffs, Wheatears and Goldcrests. One Chiffchaff gave a tristis style call and responded to tristis recordings but then went all disyllabic on my arse and despite an apparent lack of green tones I think a pale abietinus is the likely answer there.

Yesterday Garry Taylor found an American Golden Plover 5 minutes from my home but I dipped it despite being there post haste as the plovers bombed about the slope off the wolds. Boo!

No comments:

How birds and brains become mutually exclusive

Record, share and compare with BUBO Listing at www.bubo.org