Saturday 10 September 2011

Hard Work

I went to flamborough this morning hoping for some passerines. I didnt feel like seawatching which meant I missed an adult Sabine's Gull although little else. Starting at bay brambles I saw...nothing. Moving onto the gorse field I managed two Meadow Pipits and a Whitethroat. Not brilliant. A Yellow Wagtail nobbed about with sheep and there was nothing in the gullies up to old fall. One of the mornings highlights flew over and rode the strong southerly, an adult Peregrine nice and close. Always cracking to see!

Moving up old fall hedge I managed a few early Goldcrests but little else. As I arrived at the plantation 2 Green Sandpipers flew west inland. Ollie Metcalfe was at the plantation, and had seen Spot Fly and possible Redstart but the wind was cranking up and I decided to get some lunch and pushed off to the car.

Pasta pot in hand I noticed Ollie had called me - what had I missed? There was a reported RB Fly around the gorse field although apparently nobody saw it. I went back to North Landing where an unstreaked acro in the bottom of Holmes Gut was on show for a nano second. I bumped into the local ringers and they hadnt had much and the Blackcap that I had just seen had evaded their nets. A few more Goldcrests were down in Holmes Gut but I was getting bored. Thornwick Pools provided 3 Dunlin  and a couple of Yellow wags bathing. And that was that. I met Ollie and we both decided it was crap and sacked it off.

No comments:

How birds and brains become mutually exclusive

Record, share and compare with BUBO Listing at www.bubo.org