Tuesday 3 May 2011

Ring my bell

Had a productive morning ring at Tophill yesterday. A 6am start saw several migrants being year ticked quickly with singing Whitethroat on the site. A posse of Swifts were over 'O' reservoir and these were to be ever present. A gang of Common Terns lifted off south marsh east for a sortie over the ringing site as we set up. Further goodies came in a calling Cuckoo and the catch of 3 Lesser and one Common Whitethroat. We even managed a couple of recaptures from last year with a Lesser Whitethroat whic is now at least 3CY as it was rung last year on May 1st by us. A Willow Warbler had also made a successful return after being rung last June. Several other resident birds were recaptured. Yellow Wagtails and Little Ringed Plovers were a constant on the Walls of 'O' reservoir. Whilst I was diligently processing a Robin a Wood Sandpiper alighted briefly on south marsh west, seen by another of our group. This quickly disappeared after being harangued by the LRP's. Thankfully not a yeartick although it would have been a site first for me. Nevermind. As I was trying to relocate the Wood Sand at Watton I thought I heard a Nightingale in sub-song but it didn't get going so could have been an exhuberant Garden Warbler or Blackcap. A probable Pied Flycatcher flitted through south scrub but disappeared before I laid bins on it. The final bird of a quality session was my first Sedge Warbler of the year.

Today I was sat cursing as 2 Caspian Gulls rolled up at North Cave. Let's hope they are still present tomorrow so I can catchup with them in my lunch hour. The subalpine at spurn didn't float my boat although I'm sure the reported Rustic Bunting would have.

No comments:

How birds and brains become mutually exclusive

Record, share and compare with BUBO Listing at www.bubo.org