Wednesday 7 July 2010

Autumn

Tis true - the best season is here. Must be - I have seen returning waders, there have been 20,800 swifts through spurn in a day and a Fea's Petrel has been seen in Cornwall. Personally I did a bit of ringing last weekend. Mostly dross but a single Turtle Dove in the road en route plus a minging Red-crested Pochard asleep on south marsh east were year ticks. A few Grass Snakes were seen knocking about including a sizable female.

On monday I went to north Lincs where my surveys revealed returning waders by the 'bucket'ish load. A single Common Sand, 270 Black-tailed Godwit, 40 Bar-tailed Godwit, 150 Curlew, 4 Redshank, 1 Golden Plover & 1 Little Egret plus a juv Yellow Wagtail. Better was at Chowder Ness where a big group of gulls contained a minima of 2 Yellow-legged Gulls. My first british self-founds that I was 100% with. Out again on Friday.

No comments:

How birds and brains become mutually exclusive

Record, share and compare with BUBO Listing at www.bubo.org