Tuesday 12 May 2009

The (sometime) Patch

Had a wander around the treatment works patch today to take out the frustration of a Bluethroat at Spurn which would have cost me several weeks of grovelling if i had gone to see it. Im not blowing my load that easy this spring! As it was not a lot birdwise down there - a single Reed Warbler parped up once and a few Whitethroats shouted. The flash was empty save for a Pied Wagtail. Not sure its gonna hold its water for the entire summer - looking pretty sparse already. Of more interest was a photgenic Large White in my front garden, 2 Green-veined Whites mating which I managed a dodgy photo of and loads of Three-spined Sticklebacks including a few males in summer dress (cue blurry photo of female/non-ripe male). Also a flower. I dont know which flower but this was beside the stream. Any ID help would be appreciated.

3 comments:

Bryan Rains said...

You'll like this......Silenus, the drunken, merry god of the woodlands in Greek mythology, gave his name to Silene dioica (Red Campion). That's better than a straight answer!

James said...

Thank you very much - I should know Red Campion - it was one of a number of plants I surveyed on Great Cumbrae last June but im no botanist.

Bryan Rains said...

I do me birds and all the rest is down to Silenus - drink beer, remember things! History, flowers etc it's marvellous.

How birds and brains become mutually exclusive

Record, share and compare with BUBO Listing at www.bubo.org