Tuesday 5 May 2009

Naff Wobblers

After a couple of quiet weeks due to degree commitments I had a wander around the patch. Two year ticks were in - Reed Warbler and Whitethroat around the Reed bed. Also a couple of Sedgies squaking away. Chiffchaff and Willow Warbler made it 5 warbler wander. Also found the probable nest site of the Grey Wagtails which seemed to be holed up in one of the derelict buildings on the treament works. I saw three feeding flights so im reasonably sure. Also of interest down there was a Kestrel which screamed over my house (but I wasnt at home so no garden tick) and a Swift which zipped over the fields. The weatehr was chilly and breezy so birds werent over enthusiastic. A party of Bullfinches, probably my garden birds, worked the scrub adjacent to the railway line and a very vocal Song Thrush fluted away. On the fields when checking for waders on the flash a pair of Gadwall flushed, seemingly breeding in the field amongst the bullrushes. A white rump scooted away from me, seen from the corner of my eye but i failed to gain a proper view of a probable Wheatear. Some minnows were seen in the stream above the pumping station outlet so no doubt a Kingfisher will be seen eventually. Before heading home I wandered west of the Wansford road and found Nafferton Beck - I hadnt been here before. Several good sized Brown Trout hugged the bottom of this gravel stream, only a mile from one of the most exclusive trout rivers in the country. I checked the Trout for Rainbows as there are three trout farms within two miles on the River Hull. Only birds seen down this way were a Moorhen and a few Swallows but further investigation is required as I have heard rumours of Little Owls in the vicinity.

No comments:

How birds and brains become mutually exclusive

Record, share and compare with BUBO Listing at www.bubo.org